Loss of libido or sex drive is very common in both men and women of all ages, from the young to the old. Disinterest in sex can cause a lot of strain in a relationship, not only in their bedroom but also in other aspects of their relationship. So its vital to be able to identify what is causing this, and how to get it treated so that you can get your sex life back on track.
There can many causes for loss of libido , here are the 5 most common ones:
1. Medications: Some antidepressants and blood pressure medications can have the unwanted side effect of lowering your sex drive.If you have been prescribed any such medication, and have started to notice a drop in your sex drive, then I would suggest that you consult your doctor to find out if its possible to replace that particular medication with one which does not affect your sex drive.
2. Erectile Dysfunction: ED is a very common problem in men and a lot of times its just temporary, but worrying and stressing about it can lead you to experience lower sex drive, accentuating the problem. If you are suffering from erectile dysfunction or impotence, then its a good idea to consult with a qualified sexologist who can treat both the physical and psychological aspects of ED.
3. Depression: This is a tricky one because suffering from depression can cause a drop in your sex drive and this drop can further increase your depression. So its important that you treat this condition as soon as possible through therapy and counseling. If you are taking antidepressants then check for its potential side effects as mentioned in cause No.1.
4. Menopause: The hormonal changes that occur in a women’s body during menopause can lead to a loss of libido. Consult your doctor for treatments for this symptom, which is quite common during menopause.
5. Self Image: It is important to feel good about yourself because a negative self image will almost always cause you to have a lower sex drive. Low self esteem can be caused by many factors including obesity, peer pressure, financial difficulties etc. It is important to rectify these by keeping your self physically fit and not worrying too much about what others think of you etc.
These are just 5 of many factors that can cause loss of sex drive, others factors include alcohol, stress, lack of sleep etc. What is important is for you to know that this is a very common occurrence and which can be rectified by discipline and professional help. So consult a doctor or a sexologist to get the intimacy in your relationship back to where it belongs.