A relationship is like a delicate thread, which remains strong only when both the ends are together. If either of the partners is not giving their best, it’s quite likely that their relationship will break. So, it’s essential for couples to work towards improving the quality of their relationship. Relationship troubles occur due to various reasons like lack of understanding, weakening of the love bond, feeling of sexual dissatisfaction, loss of respect and other personal choices. But it’s the responsibility of the partners to make their marriage work. Here are some simple ways to help you improve your relationship.
1. Always talk out your problems with each other because unless you tell the other person what’s going in your heart and mind, there’s no way you can make your relationship work. Speak up about the issues, find solutions and then implement them in your relationship.
2. Try and be honest with each other and don’t hide things which matter to your relationship. Never cook up false stories in front of your mate because it won’t do any good. Express your true feelings.
3. It is always better to solve problems inside your room and never allow a third person to interfere in your relationship problems. Remember, an outsider would not be able understand the nitty-gritty of your relationship, so it’s best if you solve it on your own and not have any mediator doing things on your behalf. The only exception would be if you are taking help from a qualified marriage counselor.
4. When it’s about making your relationship better, you can’t afford to be stubborn. It’s important to keep your calm and be patient. Especially when the other partner is not in a good mood, it’s better to be silent, let them have their say and then you put forward your point.
5. In a lot of cases, the root cause behind a bad relationship is bad timing of saying certain things. Don’t say things that can irritate your mate and which you may regret later. Rather, know your partner’s mood first and then act accordingly. If you feel it’s not the right time to initiate a particular conversation, refrain from doing so. Take it up later when things are better and timing is better.
6. Sexual dissatisfaction is another main cause due to which relationship starts to deteriorate. If you know this already, then don’t wait for things to get worse. Know where you are lacking and then work on those areas and please your partner sexually. You can always consult a qualified sexologist to help iron out this aspect of your relationship.
7. Small gestures are often stronger than big words, so do it frequently and make your partner feel special. Giving gifts, saying ‘I love you’, giving a kiss or hug, planning a surprise dinner and so on are things that help making your relationship better and sweeter.
These may sound like little things but if you make them a part of your relationship, they can bring about a huge change in your love life. So if you feel you are facing doldrums in your married life, try out these steps to help break the impasse in your relationship.