Most common clinical Erectile Dysfunction treatments
- Clinical insertion of Prostaglandin pellets in the urethra
- Smooth-muscle relaxants injected into the penis
- The most common and popularly practiced methods worldwide include Penile implants & Penis pumps
- Vascular reconstructive surgery
We have mentioned a few of the erectile dysfunction treatment characteristics.
- Treatable clinically by best Sexologist
- Can be self-diagnosed
- Seldom required lab tests and imaging
- Characterized as a chronic ailment or disorder lasting for years and sometimes, lifelong
2 ways of managing Erectile Dysfunction treatment through Pathophysiology
- Doctors touch the penile shaft to use and measure the Reflex Erection
- Psychogenic Erection triggered by erotic or emotional stimulation
Erectile Dysfunction Diagnosis
Steps to Diagnose Erectile Dysfunction
- Based on the patient’s symptoms history,
- Physical and laboratory investigations to rule out hypogonadism and prolactinoma
- Segregate Psychological and Physiological ED
- Patients suffering from occasional full erections in the night when they are asleep, known as nocturnal penile tumescence, but hardly any during the day when awake.
- Conditions affecting the penile erection including diabetes mellitus (cause of neuropathy), weak lifestyle, dietary habits, Obesity
- Diagnosis of cardiovascular ailments because of smoking, alcohol, dyslipidemia, hypertension, and groin hernia
4 ways to treat Erectile Dysfunction
- Treating the underlying causes
- Positive changes in lifestyle
- Effective counseling treatment of psychological problems
- Safe FDA/Medical association approved medication and drugs
- PDE5 inhibitors sildenafil that works by dilating the blood vessels to cause increased blood flow through the spongy erectile Tissues of Penis
Detecting of Erectile Dysfunction & underlying treatment
- Ultrasonography – using Penile Ultrasonography with Doppler
- Doctors induce erection injecting prostaglandin E1 in10–20 µg
- The approved medication Phentolamine with a dose of 2 mg
- For better results, specialists use Visual and tactile stimulation
- Doctors recommend oral sildenafil administration instead of injectable
Other Erectile Dysfunction Workup Methods
The following are the clinical methods for the diagnosis of Erectile Dysfunction.
Penile Nerves Function
To test the sensation in the penis, physicians use bulbocavernosus reflex tests. Ed Doctors squeeze the glans, the head of the penis, and if the anus contracts, Sexologists will infer that the nerve in the penis functioning normally.
Nocturnal penile tumescence
NPT shows having 5-6 erections in the night during normal sleep, especially during rapid eye movement (REM). NPT non-occurrence may show not enough blood flow not reaching the penis or some nerve anomalies. Snap gauge and strain gauge are the two-step method used by Sexologists. These tests help measure the penile rigidity changes and circumference during nocturnal penile erection. However, not having nocturnal erections does not show erectile dysfunction either.
This technique is the application of Electromagnetic vibration to measure the glans and Penis shaft sensitivity and nerve function in them.
The other techniques are
- Dynamic infusion cavernosometry (DICC)
- Corpus cavernosometry
- Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA)
MRA is like magnetic resonance imaging. This way the doctor can gather information about the amount of blood supply and other vascular anomalies.
Medications for treating Erectile Dysfunction
The prescription drugs, such as PDE5 inhibitors sildenafil (Viagra), vardenafil (Levitra), and tadalafil (Cialis) are administered via the mouth.