Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability to get or maintain an erection required for sexual intercourse. Multiple factors can contribute to sexual dysfunctions.
Contradictory to older trends, ED is now prevalent in younger men. Around 1 in 4 men reporting ED are below 40 years of age.
No romantic relationship is complete without a healthy sexual relationship. The dysfunction leads to distressed relationships.
Over time, the distress creeps into every aspect of life. A man loses the ability to concentrate and focus at work. Further, it multiplies the dissatisfaction and causes extreme frustration.
The embarrassment around the topic keeps the man at bay from seeking help.
But, there is no reason to hold onto the situation. Losing erections during sex is common and treatable at the same time. Book an appointment with an erectile dysfunction specialist now to change your life.
Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction
- Inability to get an erection
- Inability to sustain an erection during sexual intercourse
- Low sexual desire
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
An erection occurs due to an adequate blood flow to the penis on stimulation. Excitement relaxes the blood vessels in the penis and directs the blood flow resulting in a firm erection.
A man needs both physical and mental well-being to have firm erections required for sexual intercourse.
The main reasons behind erectile dysfunction are divided into two categories.
- Heart disease
- Increased blood pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Autoimmune disorders like Multiple Sclerosis
- Neurological disorders like Parkinson’s disease
- Tobacco use
- Weak pelvic muscles
- Relationship issues
All these reasons can cause erectile dysfunction on their own and in combination with various factors.
Diagnosis of Erectile Dysfunction
You would need an erectile dysfunction specialist to help with a proper diagnosis.
Losing erection during sex can be due to several reasons. The doctor will perform a physical and psychological examination to form a diagnosis and suggest the best treatment.
Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction
Various treatment options are available for erectile dysfunction, and preferred treatment would depend on health conditions and the underlying reason.
Various options are –
- Medicinal Therapy – There are several drugs available to help gain an erection. The medicines can have side effects and may not be suitable for someone with high blood pressure. Do not self-medicate; always take a doctor’s opinion before taking any pill.
- Hormonal Therapy – Erectile dysfunction can happen due to low levels of testosterone. A doctor gives artificial hormones that would further rectify erectile dysfunction.
- Injections – A doctor prescribes injections for cases where medicines do not work or are unsuitable. A patient learns to administer penile injections at the side of the penis. It relaxes the blood vessels, increasing the blood flow and causing an erection.
There can be some side effects of injections.
- Shockwave Therapy – This is a non-invasive treatment option projecting excellent results in the past few years. It works by using high-strength sound waves to increase the blood flow to the penis. Regular visits can improve erectile dysfunction in men.
- Surgical Intervention – You can still have an active sex life with the help of surgery at the end if nothing else works well for you.
Penile implants preserve the mechanism of erection, ejaculation, and orgasm for men.
- Counseling – A therapist can help the patient with erectile dysfunction to deal with mental issues. Psychological help benefits the patient in combating anxiety, fear, and stress related to the disorder.
All the treatment options are available at Dr. Arora’s Men’s Wellness Clinic. The treatment of each patient is advised based on personal and medical history.
Natural remedies for Erectile Dysfunction
Along with undergoing medical treatment, introduce these habits for a healthier lifestyle.
- Maintain weight – Obesity is a known cause of erectile dysfunction. Keep your weight in check to stay motivated.
- Eat right – You are what you eat. Stop picking up packaged foods from the grocery store. Incorporate whole and fresh foods into the diet. Eat at home and prepare meals from raw ingredients. Avoid frequent order-ins. A healthier diet ensures better sexual health.
- Alcohol – Cut back on alcohol. Excessive alcohol consumption can have harmful effects and is linked with ED.
- Smoking – You have to quit smoking to have a healthy sexual life. You know it causes cancer but is also responsible for erectile dysfunction.
- Stress – Stress is inevitable in today’s world but is damaging to sex life. Persistent stress lowers sexual desire and may lead to erectile dysfunction. Seek help to overcome mental health issues.
- Exercise – Cannot focus enough on physical activity. Move around for some time every day. Doing some workout should be a necessity like eating food is.
Kegel exercise explicitly strengthens pelvic muscles, and it involves holding a set of muscles for a few seconds and repeating the exercise.
- Sedentary lifestyle – Inactive lifestyle is the biggest reason behind all the health issues. Do not sit in one place for hours. Make a point to take frequent breaks and move around, along with some dedicated time for physical activity.
- Supplements – Various supplements are known to improve ED. Vitamin D supplements improve blood flow and aid the production of testosterone.
Red ginseng relaxes the muscles and is used as a herbal treatment for ED. Other supplements, like L-arginine, L-citrulline, etc., have shown positive results.
Do not take supplements without an expert’s advice. Only an erectile dysfunction specialist can recommend the best supplements for you.
Make these lifestyle changes to reap benefits not only for erectile dysfunction but for overall health. Losing erections during sex could happen due to a lack of fitness. Consult an erection dysfunction specialist to discuss the options and required lifestyle changes for you.
Questions to ask your Erection Dysfunction Specialist
Clear all your doubts during the consultation. Prepare a list of questions to ask your erectile dysfunction specialist.
- Why am I losing erections during sex?
- What is erectile dysfunction?
- Why am I losing an erection during sex at such a young age?
- What are the reasons behind ED?
- Is my ED physical or mental?
- Can I make some lifestyle changes to get better?
- Is ED treatable?
- What kind of treatments are available?
- What are the side effects of the treatment?
- Which treatment is the best one for me?
- Can stress cause ED?
Asking these questions to the specialist will help you understand the condition. There is no question stupid enough. Feel free to ask your heart out during the consultation.
Dr Arora’s Men’s Wellness Clinic has experienced doctors who will answer all your queries and prescribe the best treatment for you.
It is normal to be reluctant to talk about losing erections during sex. Anything to do with sex is still considered taboo. Sexual awareness and education are the need of an hour. Educate yourself and the people around you. Normalize addressing queries related to sexual health.
You deserve a healthy sexual life, and so does your partner.
Talk freely with your partner and extend support to the one in trouble. Seek help from an erectile dysfunction specialist to find the reason and get the necessary treatment.