Here are a few ways in which obesity can harm your sex life.
- People who are overweight have a lot of lifestyle diseases that can affect their sex life in various ways. Diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, depression, heart diseases, high blood pressure all affect your sexual functioning.These can lead problems like low sex drive, impotence, delayed or no orgasms, and even ejaculation problems.
- We live in a society where we are judged by our looks and a lot of times overweight people are looked down upon and made fun of. This can adversely affect the self-image of a person.
This prejudice starts early on and obesity becomes the defining characteristic of a person regardless of his or her other qualities. This promotes negative body image, which makes it likely for obese people to develop low self-esteem and sometimes even depression, which reduces their libido and can cause sexual dysfunction.
- Obese men are far more likely to develop erectile dysfunction or impotency. Problems related to overweight like diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol prevent efficient blood flow to all the parts of the body including the penis thus causing problems with erection.
- Obesity often leads to lack of stamina and laziness in the daily activities. And this can often get into their sex life as well. It can also affect the time span they can maintain the erection for, thus reducing their pleasure of sexual activity.
- In men, obesity is directly connected with infertility because of the way it affects the sperm. Sometimes men who consume unhealthy fatty diet have lower quality sperm in comparison to the ones who eat healthier and have a workout routine.
- Hormonal imbalance and lower testosterone levels are common effects of obesity, which in turn affect the sexual desire in both men and women. Even the medication for the hormonal balance can sometimes hinder sexual activity.
Summing it up, while it is true that being overweight can harm your sex life in many ways but it is also true that losing just a few pounds can almost immediately boost your sex life.Often when you start taking good care of your health and start being a little more physically active, it can substantially increase your interest in sex and the return of your sexual desire.