Aging brings about a host of physical and psychological changes in men, they range from decrease in physical stamina to the onset of various medical maladies. Among the more worrisome changes that men face is the effect of their age on their sexual health; and in particular erectile dysfunction (ED) also known as impotence.
It is estimated that about 65% of men over the age of 60 suffer from erectile dysfunction. Infact a lot of men will start experiencing erectile dysfunction in their 40’s and 50’s. Here are a few health problems that aging men face which can cause ED and other sex problems:
- Older men will more likely than not experience decrease in sexual arousal due to the gradual decrease in testosterone as they age. This will lead to decrease in the time they spend in romancing and setting up the mood for intimacy.
- The penis size shrinks as men age and this will lead them to worry about their performance and cause performance anxiety.
- Older men are more prone to suffer from prostrate cancer, high blood pressure, complications from diabetes, arthritis etc, which can all lead to erectile dysfunction.
- As men age their physical strength and stamina wanes, which makes vigorous lovemaking that much more difficult.
- Older men use medications like antidepressants, beta blockers and diuretics which all effect sexuality in one way or another.
- Men tend to compare the sexual performance of their youth to how they perform much later in life, this comparison will inevitably cause stress and depression and lead to them not being satisfied with their sex life.
The good news is that with the right counseling and medication most men can enjoy a healthy sexual life till very late in their lives. All they need to do is address the problem by contacting a qualified medical professional like a sexologist, who can treat their sexual problem according to their age and medical condition. There is no reason for men to give up on their sex life just because they are aging.