Erectile dysfunction (ED) or impotence can be caused by both physical and psychological factors, the physical factors can include medical conditions like heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and prostate cancer etc. Then there are medications that can also cause ED, the examples of which include Diuretics, anti-depressants, beta blockers etc. Another cause can be the use and abuse of alcohol, cigarettes and recreational drugs like marijuana etc. But besides these well documented causes of erectile dysfunction, there is an another big reason why men can develop temporary and long term impotence and this cause is purely psychological.
The following are some of the most common reasons for the onset of Psychological Impotence in men:
1. The most common mental reason for men that can cause impotence is work related stress. Work pressures nowadays are so high that it takes a toll on not only the physical condition of the man but also affects his sex life. Mental and physical fatigue leads to loss of sexual desire and loss of erection during or even before sexual intercourse.
2. The second most common reason for cause impotence is related to relationship problems. If a man is dissatisfied with the non-sexual aspect of his relationship with his partner it can cause him to suffer from temporary loss of erection. Fighting and arguing frequently with one’s partner does not help with sexual arousal which is needed to obtain and maintain an erection.
3. Financial pressures is another reason that can cause impotence. Money or the lack of can become an obsession and the consequent stress can be detrimental to a man’s sex life.
4. Performance anxiety is an ironic cause of impotence because it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more one worries about their sexual performance the more likely it is for them to not get or maintain an erection. Peer pressure and unrealistic expectations are the main causes of performance anxiety.
5. Suffering from depression is another very common reason that can cause ED. Especially if the person suffering from it does not seek professional help in the form of counselling and medication. It is very hard to get sexually aroused if one is in a depressed state of mind.
Many men who suffer from erectile dysfunction seek treatment for their condition without properly identifying the underlying root cause that makes them suffer from impotence in the first place. Unfortunately a lot of self-proclaimed sex specialists especially in countries like India take advantage of the fact that men who suffer from ED are desperate to remedy their condition and will go to any lengths to do so. Prescribing drugs like Viagra or its generic versions is of no use if the main cause for erectile dysfunction is psychological as these drugs only work if the man is in a state of sexual arousal in the first place.
I suggest contacting a qualified sexologist or other professional medical practitioner who will be able to diagnose and provide the right kind of counselling and medication (if required) to help you conquer impotence and regain your confidence in bed.