Ups and downs are very common and normal in any relationship but once you realize that your relationship has taken the course downhill you must work upon to grab it and strengthen it before it becomes too late!!!
As it has been confirmed by surveys that relationships do not abruptly come to an end but there are always some prominent sputtering causes which lead to the gradual end of relationships. As it is well said- ‘Make hay while the sun shines’- this saying goes well for relationships too. Pay heed to the dozens of red warning signs that come along to give us plenty of notice that a change is needed in our relationship. Even if your relationship has hit a rough patch- do not lose heart- remember do not give up easily because it is not the end. Couples can very well fix up their differences- the only drive needed is going about it in the right way.
Given below are the different ways in which couples can help to revive their relationship and save themselves from future pitfalls and complications.
1. Introspect: Any relationship that is going downhill requires a sufficient amount of inward-looking and self-analysis to reach to the root of the problem and further to rectify it. Couples need to self-examine themselves to see what went wrong and to further perceive why it went wrong. Always remember, ‘It takes two to make a quarrel’- it is usually not the fault of just one person and there are always many sides to a problem or disagreement.
2. Avoid the Blame Game: This game is one in which there is no winner but all losers. So what the couples need to always remember that even if they realize that the fault is of the other one, resist the temptation to blame the other person. Weigh your words because they can cause more trouble than offering solutions. Avoid a finger of scorn instead try to discuss and explain why you feel that something is wrong and do so in a dignified manner because if you sound critical and nagging that would worsen the entire scenario.
3. Work Out a Solution: According to available statistics, many couples have successfully put their relationship back on track by mutually working out a plan, taking into account mutually agreed views and matters. This strategy works well only when both in the relationship discuss what each one can do to improve the relationship. Each one has to give a little, both in terms of time and effort as well as need to make some changes in his/her priorities and principles. It ahs been rightly said also,’Relationships require consistent efforts’.
4. Do not Hold Grudges: Couples should always follow the famous proverb-; Let bygones be bygones’. Further they should believe in the time tested policy of forgive and forget- simple reason- everyone makes mistakes and resurrecting past mistakes always leads towards slowly killing your relationship. Instead of brooding over why your relationship went through rough time, let go off the past, do not hold grudges and work up to hold on to sweet memories and cherish adorable moments.
5. Start Afresh: Its’ never too late to start again. After a thorough introspection, plan and work things out in order to fix your relationship. Help each other to build a stronger bond and in the process if it so requires do not hesitate from seeking help too.
It’s not a bad idea to seek help of people whom both the partners trust. There is nothing wrong in seeking help and advice of close members of family or friends, to resolve issues, provided they are impartial in their approach. If the need be so there is no harm in seeking professional help. This would provide the couples with practical strategies to help sail their relationship through difficult times.