The proper use of condom will not only help prevent unwanted pregnancies but also more importantly help protect you and your partner from contracting Sexually transmitted diseases (STD’s). Make using condoms mandatory when indulging in not only sexual intercourse but also oral sex.
A lot of men who use condoms are unaware of the proper way to store and use a condom because they are embarrassed to ask their friends or doctor about it and this ignorance can cause the condom to become ineffective as protection.
Here are a few tips on how to store and properly use a condom:
1. Only buy latex condoms from reputed brands, they maybe a little bit more expensive than the lower priced brands but meet the safety standards are unlikely to leak.
2. Always check the expiry date on the condom, and never use a condom past its expiry date.
3. The hot climate especially in countries like India can cause the condom to break so always make sure to store them away from direct sunlight or hot places.
4. Don’t keep a condom in your wallet for too long as it can cause the rubber to weaken.
5. Take care when you open and take the condom out of its packaging, making sure not to puncture it with your fingernails.
6. Use the condom the moment you get an erection before penetration.
7. Pull the foreskin of the penis down before you put the condom on.
8. Squeeze out the air from the condom.
9. Unroll the condom on the erect penis and take all the way down to pubic hair.
10. If you are going to use lubricants, make sure they are non-oil based (KY Jelly), and never use Vaseline or baby oil or any other kind of lotions which contain oil.
11. After ejaculation take the penis out while it’s still hard, press the bottom of the condom at the same time.
12. Never ever reuse a condom, throw it away. And always use a fresh condom every time you are going to indulge in a sexual act.
These simple and basic tips will reduce the chances of the condom breaking and leaking and enhance your and your partner’s protection.